Cavolo Nero are one of those vegetables that are so good for you but can less palatable to eat because they are quite tough and bitter.
However, it’s easier on the palate when you turn them into nice crispy chips. So for me this is definitely the food to eat when I need my green boost!
In this recipe I only use salt, but you can be adventurous. I’ve tried garlic powder, zataar and curry powder; let your imagination go wild!
200g cavolo nero leaves
1tbsp olive oil
a pinch of salt (or any spices of your choice)
- Preheat the oven to 110C (90C fan / 225F / Gas 1/4).
- Cut the leaves as per the picture below. This will make sure you don’t cook the stalk as it will turn really hard and you don’t want to be eating a twig.
- Wash the leaves well and drain.
- Microwave for 5 min at power 650 to wilt the leaves.
- Using a kitchen roll, dab the moisture collected at the bottom of the plate. This step is very important as it will take ages to make a nice crip chips.
- Leave the leaves to cool further so as to evaporate any remaining moisture.
- Add olive oil and mix well with your hand.
- Place onto the baking trey thinly so that leaves are not overlapping.
- Bake for 1 hour or until the chips are nice a crip. Make sure you check the chips every now and then to flip them. Note: I often bake for about 40 min and turn the oven off and let the remaining heat do the work until the oven cools down. This saves electricity 😉
- Keep the chips in airtight container.